Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Year to the End

Howdy folks, and welcome to a blog devoted to preparing for and running the Chevron Houston Marathon on January 30, 2011. Yes, that's only a little more than a year from now, so let's get it on.

First, some history. I ran competitively in high school several decades ago, and during that time ran my first marathon in 3:47. I thought so highly of this accomplishment that I didn't run another until two years ago in the Houston Marathon, where I ran a 3:38. Not too bad for a middle-aged, white collar guy who due to shin splints can only run every other day.

That wasn't enough, however, so I ran the Houston Marathon again last Sunday, one week ago today. I ran a 3:28, but was on pace for a 3:19 at mile 21 until cramps set in pretty much all over my body, from my neck to my left second-biggest toe. And I just can't let it go, so I'm going to give it a legitimate shot at the Holy Grail of amateur marathoning, qualifying for and running in the Boston Marathon. For me, that will be a 3:30 marathon at the next Houston Marathon.

So this blog is the story of my year trying to accomplish that Bucket List goal. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment