Monday, February 22, 2010

Training Update - 10

I've been reading "Born to Read", the national bestseller by Christopher McDougall about the Tarahumara tribe in Mexico and their impacts on distance running. I messed around with some of the theories today as I ran on the treadmill due to cold and windy weather this morning (the weather got much better this afternoon, but I had no time to take advantage of it).

The treadmill is a great place to practice technique and work on speed. Today was a slow six mile run (8:00 per mile pace, right on Boston pace at my advancing age), but I focused more on moving my foot strike from the outside of my heels to my midfoot. It seemed to have some differences, mostly a bit of a shin splint on the front of my right shin, but I can understand the logic. I'll keep working on it over time, but am thinking my leg cadence may need to be altered.

Speaking of cadence, on the treadmill I was able to monitor it very closely. I was right at 84 both minutes I checked it; that's okay, but I may try to move that up just a little to see if my feet will stay on the ground a shorter period of time, thus reducing the strike load. It's worth a try.

Anyway, today was six miles at 8:00 pace with a lot of sweat on the treadmill, followed by my normal weight workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment