Friday, March 5, 2010

Back

It's good to be back! I ran a quick 5.9 miles today on my usual downtown course in 45:25, or 7:42 a mile. It was supposed to be a nice easy run, but, well, so much for that. It was the first run in over a week, although I had plenty of exercise or cross-training during that time.

For example, yesterday I rode the stationary bike for 30 minutes at a moderate effort level.

Last Monday I skied hard all day.

Last Sunday I snowshoed four hours hard and then spent 40 minutes really shoeing hard, finishing that late afternoon effort with a soaked tee shirt. I figure I run about five miles in 40 minutes and get about that much sweat, so maybe there's a parallel?

Last Saturday I shoed and broke trail in deep snow for over four hours, topping out at nearly 12,000 feet along the Continental Divide after climbing around 1,000 feet. Not bad! In fact, I enjoyed the snowshoeing so much I bought a pair of Tubbs 30" for future use.

A side note is my weight: I almost always lose weight when vacationing in the mountains, probably due to better eating, no snacking, and massive calorie burns. No difference this week. I lost three pounds or so and weighed in at the Fitness Center after today's run at a svelte 153 pounds. We'll see how long it lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment