Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Gusher Marathon

Today is the running of the Gusher Marathon in Beaumont. A really bad day for a marathon. 26.2 miles in 80 degree heat and 85 percent humidity; a perfect recipe for physical issues in a first time marathon. I hope they have their ducks in a row for hydration and first aid.

I've been following the Gusher online through their really active Facebook page. These guys are really fired up to run the half and the 5k, although there's not much traffic for the full. It's fun to read some of the neophyte questions, like will there be port-a-potties and the like. I'm looking forward to seeing the results online later this week.

And it will be later this week. My laptop crashed last night, or at least the screen did. I called the office help desk this morning and they offered me help...Monday morning. That's fine, but I'm typing now at the library (this new one has 109 computers plus 20 laptops - awesome) and won't be able to listen to baseball games over the internet today or tomorrow. Such is the life.

I'm not sure if I'll run today. The conditions are that bad - actually they are a little worse than the 8:13 per mile I ran over 8.6 miles a week or so ago. And that's just not worth it.

And to think that if I had run my last Houston marathon time today I would be finishing right about now. But in these conditions I think I would be doing good to finish in a very painful and dangerous hour from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment