Sunday, May 30, 2010

Mariposa Grove and Glacier Point

Again, no running today, but I did a strenuous hike to the top of the Mariposa sequoia grove and the a snowy, hidden-trail-due-to-snow hike to Sentinel Dome from Glacier Point. The first was six miles, with 1200 vertical feet of ascending and descending, and the second was three, but with long stretches of traversing snowfields at 7500 feet elevation.

I was trying to avoid the crushing crowds by going to Mariposa early, which worked although since the tram was not working the crowds much beyond the parking lot was fairly empty anyway. Glacier Point was so crowded the park police closed the road for almost an hour prior to my arrival to let the parking area empty some. I ate lunch, so it was no biggee for me. I did get a good traffic report on the Valley from Glacier Point...the roads were completely stuffed and I couldn't find empty parking spots, although I was about 3200 feet above the Valley floor.

Even with the crowds, this place is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment