Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tempo Run - 3

I had another treadmill day today, and started at a smart 8:00 pace for the first mile. Things felt good at that point, no shin issues at all, so I took the next mile at 7:30, dropped down to 7:00 for the next two miles, ran the fifth in 7:30 again, and finished the sixth mile in 8:00. The overall pace was 7:30 for six miles. A good run.

I continued my stretching of the shins, as best I can, after the run and feel fine this evening. During an hour drive each way this evening I talked with a surgeon friend of mine about a number of topics, one of which was the shins and any advice he could give regarding their well-being. Not surprisingly, I guess, he said take ibuprofen, one or two tablets, about an hour prior to running and another one or two afterward. I have two fears here: one, the ibuprofen or any medicine will simply mask the pain; his answer was no, the ibuprofen stops the "cascading" of the physical issue, thus preventing the pain; the second fear is that continued use of ibuprofen could damage my body somehow; he stated that the research indicates I can safely take much higher quantities than he recommended, and way way more than I take today (one or two tablets a week).

So I'll try the ibuprofen and see what happens. Who knows, maybe I can run five or so days a week with a couple of them easy runs with the ibuprofen. At some point I have little desire to run more simply due to the time commitment and other age-related weaknesses.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment